Friday, February 23, 2007

plays with knives

today i was united with my first official sushi knife. we are one now...as it bit me prior to purchase. almost as funny as that story is...the reason i went in search of a knife is funnier. on my first day i took my "fancy" non stick light weight japanese knife that has holes in it to help facilitate vegetable repellance. t-chan later said that she could have told me that was a bad choice...as i found out for myself that shit like cream cheese and spicy tuna mix was getting stuck in the holes making cleaning the blade a royal pain in the ass. so day two i took the "fancy" santoku japanese knife i had left for t-chan in her house. i remember her dad exclaiming at its sharpness. but in hindsight that may have been because at the time she had a crappy ass set of knives. halfway through the shift i did a major culinary no no. i used another chef's knife! i feel so bad and hope to never do it again...but am very grateful to jc for allowing me to use his. mine decided that it wasn't going to cut anymore. i had to saw at the rolls and when i had to cut one that had plastic wrap on it the roll just started to get all smooshed! i realized then, and later to t-chan's confirmation, that the knife had never been sharpened. ever. that explains a lot. hopefully mason will sharpen it for me [and teach me how in the process] so i can have a back up to my new baby...

...which in the process of adopting i think i granted the girls at the house of rice with a funny story. as i picked up my future extension of my hand, it magically fell out of its wrapping as i was starting to put it back. if freaking me out that it was to be a 'you broke it you buy it' purchase by pretending to fall tip down wasn't enough...it screamed 'take notice of me' as i gently slipped it back in the box with relief that it hit the ground handle first. slit my thumb open the little fucker did. and i swear i heard that metallic ringing you hear when a samuari sword hits its fleshy home!!! instantly my thumb started spewing blood and i ran out of the store to my truck where i knew i had some really really old but hopefully effective band-aids. when i came back in i told them that i accidentally cut my finger on the knife that i noticed was missing from the display and profusely explained that it fell handle first and i only put it back and ran out because i didn't want to run out of the store with it or refurnish their floor with my dna. i was contemplating not buying it and buying a cheaper one that i saw on their website...but i took it as a sign. so the damn thing better cut my rolls with ease!! if my finger was any indication...

the girls there were nice about my ordeal...but i am sure they were thinking i was retarded. especially after asking me if i was in the industry...to which i think i got some sort of discount [score!] would you want to eat something from someone that can't even look at a knife without cutting themselves?? i think its funny. its broken in now. its had a taste for raw flesh...i'll have to keep it happy with some sashimi instead.

No comments: